Statistics

SUPPORT (183 Members) . GROW (7 Association). PROMOTE (Visitors from 14 Countries). (Check The Site's Statistics)

Monday, July 04, 2005

SHAILAJA B. BHAT: BANGALOREAN WITH ROOTS IN MYSORE IS THE NEW NATIONAL PRESIDENT OF INNER WHEEL

Enthusiastic, energetic and socially committed lady, Shailaja B. Bhat has taken charge as the National President of Inner Wheel — world's largest womens' organisation with a difference — working tirelessly for the cause of women and children with an attitude of friendship and service thus contributing immensely to international friendship and understanding.

A Bangalorean, Shailaja B. Bhat, grand daughter of Late Lakshminarayan Ballal, of famous Ballal Circle, Mysore took her office of the National president 2005-06 of Association of Inner Wheel in India, which is made up of 27 divisions called Districts and each District comprises about 5 to 8 revenue districts.

Shailaja B. Bhat, is a talented lady who has emphasised the avenues of cancer detection and awareness campaigns, Concern for senior citizens, rain water harvesting and Breast feeding campaign along with polio eradication for this year's Inner Wheel work all over India. The International Inner Wheel theme for the year is "Support gives Strength."

Q: When did you join Inner Wheel ?

A: I was too involved in KPAMRC — Karnataka Parents Association for the Mentally Retarded Citizens, from 1978 to 1988. After that I devoted my time to my son's achievements. He won the National Championship in swimming in the year 1990. In 1991 my husband joined Rotary Club of Bangalore Orchards and I joined Inner Wheel.

Q: How do you feel when you get an identity only through your husband? Why did you not choose to be a Rotarian yourself and work as equals with your husband ?

A: Through Inner Wheel also we retain and maintain relationship healthily. Moreover, it is easier for a lady to work in Inner Wheel as the rules regarding attendance and punctuality are not so rigid here. Feminism has never crept into Inner Wheel. In fact, I have always opposed the reservation policy for women. She has all the power. Why does anyone have to reserve it for her? Inner Wheel is a ladies organisation, with a discipline, which is different from any Kitty Party. We have a framework of by-laws, constitution, which gives a direction to community work. Unlike other organisations, here you work for others and that gives tremendous satisfaction. Every day when you evaluate what you did for the society? When the beneficiary recognises your service, even with a courteous smile, the contentment sets in. The emphasis here is more on friendship and Service. Friendship finds a purpose in Service. It is the art of kindness that goes a long way and unless we extend this circle of compassion to all living things, we shall not find peace within.

Q: The membership rules in Inner Wheel are so rigid. How does one become a member if she is not related to a Rotarian?

A: It is not so rigid as was before. She can take up the membership of Rotary or be an honorary member for 4 years before becoming a member of Inner Wheel.

Q: Which was your most difficult time? How did you cope with it?

A: The most difficult period was when my husband was in that dreadful flight which was hijacked and taken to Kandahar. Media was constantly having dialogue with me anticipating some dramatic outbursts. I had to keep my family with aged mother-in-law, two small children and close relatives intact. Friends and prayers helped me to be practical and balanced.

Q: Please share one or two "eye-opening" incidents in Inner Wheel. What difference Inner Wheel has done to you?

A: These incidents happened when I was the President of our Club. During Pulse Polio campaign, I took 15 college students in my car went door-to-door in Bangalore slum area, with deep conviction. The Chairman of Polio Plus Committee was so concerned and she warned me, as it was the year when the plague epidemic had broken. We manned somebody else's booth completely, from printing pamphlets to giving drops personally, knowing pretty well that we would not be recognised. But incidentally the Chairman came to know and we got the Best Club award under the avenue of Pulse Polio also. But more than the award, it was after few days when a man from the slum recognised me as Amma who told them about polio. It touched me.

During December Bangalore was very cold. We went with woollen blankets in my car, in the middle of the night, to people sleeping on footpaths, railway platforms and spread the blankets on them as they were sleeping and saw that warm smile on their sleeping faces. I felt like my life was justified.

A funny incident happened on one of those days when my treasurer and me went to the bank and my car got locked with key inside. A stranger camp to our help. I got into his car without thinking twice. When he started asking me about what do, I started telling him all about our projects. How we go about collecting funds, with which we cater to the needy. We could not find any mechanic to help us was a different issue. But when he dropped me back to my car, he handed a five-hundred-rupee note and requested me to use it for some orphanage. We learnt that in Inner Wheel we should shed down our ego and keep on tapping every source of finance.

Q: Which is the best and favourite project to you?

A: I give more importance to personalised projects, where we do not spend any money but give our time directly to the receiver, for example visiting children's ward in a hospital and spending time motivating them. Similarly, hearing the elderly people either by going to old-age-homes or even by visiting an elderly person in the neighbourhood or in a friend's house gives me utmost satisfaction.

Q: This whole year you have to be touring all over India. What about your husband and daughter? Will they come with you every time?

A: My husband cannot join me. A short separation of one year will do us good. We will miss each other and thus strengthen cur bond again. He encourages me to find my path. His support is always there whenever or wherever I need it, but he never interferes with my work.

This is our All India Association President Shailaja B. Bhat, educated, evolved, enthusiastic, energetic, ever-exploring yet a simple person who is uncomfortable when she gets that special recognition of being a national leader as she feels "after all we are custodians only for an year, why separate us from the mass and treat us differently for that year?"

No comments: